Keep it down or I'll give you a smack!

Monday, April 09, 2007

Weathering The Storm

I feel like I am always a few steps behind with these updates, but that is just the way it has to be I guess. Since we last spoke here’s what happened:

One small point of interest came along last week when my manager called and asked me if I was free for lunch on Tuesday. He said it was just to see how I was coming along in the new team and just wanted to touch base. I couldn’t help but think in the back of my mind that maybe there was something else there. But I turned out to be worried for nothing. We went over to Corner Alley and had a sandwich and a nice chat about mostly work stuff. He’s a good guy and real easy to talk to. So that was a relief.

The rest of last week was lame as usual until we got to Thursday. We had heard a buzz around the office that leading into a holiday weekend we were going to get an early exit around 3pm. A guy that I work with is leaving the company so our group was going to stop off and have a few drinks. Then sometime on Thursday the word came down that we were not getting out early. It was like somebody came by and stole my candy. Eventually the powers that be came to their senses and sent an e-mail saying that if our schedule allowed it that we could leave early. By my accounts, at 2:30 my workload was in line for me to leave. I packed up my stuff and was heading for the door and off to Flannery’s.

Murph joined up with me over at Flannerys’s shortly after and we had a few drinks discussing world peace and things of that sort. After a couple of hours there we met up with Matt at Dive Bar. His football team was having some sort of reception there with some free drinks and food. We hung out there for a few more before deciding to head west.

Another group had a planned a happy hour in Lakewood at a new place called Beer Engine. Murph and I drove and got his van and we made our way to meet up at Beer Engine. It was a pretty cool place that carries all micro brews and home made beers. We hung out there until around midnight before I decided that I wanted to head back east and get some sleep.

Friday was Opening Day for the Cleveland Indians at Jacobs Field. The pre-game plan was to meet at Flannery’s (as usual) before heading over to the game. I met up with Greg and Murph there around 10:45 am for the 4:05pm first pitch. The place was a ghost town at that time. We had totally over estimated the early arrival of drinkers. Maybe it was the fact that it was Good Friday or the fact that it was 30 degrees outside. Finally around noon, people started rolling in ready for some drinking. Things picked up as they usually do for opening day and a nice sized crowd rolled in.

We hung out drinking and watching, as the weather just got worse as the day went along. They snow flurries kept coming down as we hung out waiting for game time. At this point though I pretty much had it in my mind that I was not going to be attending today’s game. I was fired up for opening day but I was not fired up to sit in 25-degree weather with snow coming down. My mind was made up when we turned the pre-game show on they showed the forecast which called for more snow along with wind chills in the mid teens. The Indians announced that they were going to move the game time back an hour to try and clean up the field so that they could play the game. As game time approached and my gang decided they were heading over, I again stood firm that I was just going to stay at Flannery’s nice and warm watching the game along with the Masters. And that is what I did, I stayed and made friends with the people that were next to me and watched the action on TV. After an hour or so of watching the snow delays my gang came back and told me what I wise man I was. We sat and watched as they called the game with the Indians just one strike away from winning a weather shortened game. Instead the game was called and it was announced that it would me made up the following day.

Check out the time lapse video of Friday at Jacobs Field.
This is pretty cool

The balance of the evening was a lot of fun and laughs as we hung out at Flannery’s for the remainder of the evening. Most of the crew had headed home with the exception of Tom, Scott and myself being the last men standing. We spoke of making a trip somewhere else to see some naked ladies but we made the choice to head home. Of course I was not heading home but instead to the friendly confines of the Hampton Inn. I made my way to a stop off at Panini’s for a bite to eat before checking in at the hotel at sometime after midnight.

Saturday I was woke up by my phone ringing at 8am. I looked at the phone to see that it was Murph hitting me up. I was in no mood to have a conversation at that time of the morning in the condition that I was in. I rolled over and went back to bed. Sometime around 10am I got out of the bed and got moving. As I looked out the window of my room I realized that there was no chance they were playing baseball again today. ESPN confirmed this information just a short time later. I popped in the shower and cleaned myself up and made my way back home.

Now for the action part of my weekend, I did absolutely nothing that deserves any mention for the rest of the week. I stayed in the house as the shitty weather continued. I was quite thankful that it was Master weekend so I could justify it that I had no real reason for leaving the house. I watched the coverage all weekend and did not feel one ounce of guilt for not missing anything.

Sunday I did much of the same. The Family came over for Easter dinner and I did my usual routine. I hung out in my room and watched TV away from the annoyances of the family being there. I watched the Cavs lose again to Detroit and then the Masters. It was a fantastically lazy holiday. I am so proud of myself.

Back to reality today though, I am back in the office doing my best to get through the day. I really have no interest in being here. And to make things even more entertaining, I was just talking to Murph about maybe going over to the Indians game today for a couple of innings after work. The wonderful news now comes in that they have again cancelled both of today’s games! It’s April 9th and it is 34 degrees outside with snow falling again. Just last week at this time it was close to 60 outside but today we sit in the freezing temperatures with 4 cancelled Tribe games.

Have a great week!


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home